Kitchari is cooked in many different styles using a combination of spices in different parts of India. The two most popular styles are North Indian and South Indian kitchari. In South India Kitchari is called Pongal.
At Inner Flame we offer both North and South Indian Kitchari blends. The spice packs are portioned out for single serving. There are 10 spice packs in the box. You can choose a mix of North and South Indian spice pack so you can try and enjoy both flavors or order 10 of any one.
Kitchari Spice Mix Ingredients:
North Indian Kitchari Spice Mix: Cumin*, Coriander*, Turmeric*, Gluten Free Asafoetida*, Ginger*, Rock Salt*, Black Pepper*, Clove*, Dried Curry Leaf*, Cardamom*, Cinnamon* *ORGANIC
South Indian Kitchari Spice Mix: Cumin*, Gluten Free Asafoetida*, Ginger*, Rock Salt*, Black Pepper*, Dried Curry Leaf* *ORGANIC
- Wash half cup of rice and yellow moong dal at least twice or until water runs clear. Soak in filtered water overnight (or minimum of two hours). Drain soaking water.
- In a small saucepan, add rice and moong dal, any one pack of Kitchari Spice Mix and 1 3/4 cups of water. Stir well and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and preferred consistency. Add more water if needed during cooking.
- When Kitchari is just about done cooking, add 2 teaspoons of ghee or coconut oil. Mix well.
- Let Kitchari cool for a few minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired.