Restaurant Style Chicken Tikka Masala / Butter Chicken
The lip-smacking Chicken Tikka Masala is an irresistible Indian cuisine that has impressed foodies across the globe! The tender and moist boneless chicken coated with luscious creamy gravy is a devouring treat. The enticing aroma of the Indian Magic Mix spices along with the freshness of the cilantro excites the palate for a taste.
A Brief History of Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken
The origin of Chicken Tikka Masala is blurry! Some state that it originated in Punjab, India, during the 1970s. While others believe it was first created in one of Glasgow’s restaurant. Few claim that Indian chicken curry got an innovative twist in Britain and was termed Chicken Tikka Masala.
On the other hand, the renowned Butter Chicken came to existence by accident! Way back in the 1940s, a chef at a Delhi restaurant added some leftover chicken pieces into buttery tomato gravy with some cream.
Authentically, both the recipes are prepared with tandoori chicken, where the chicken is cooked in a clay oven for a roasted texture and smoky flavor. Besides butter and cream, often cashew paste is added to intensify the gravy.
Difference Between Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken
Often, people consider Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter Chicken as two different chicken cuisines. Yet, both recipes are quite similar with regards to the preparation of the chicken pieces in a tomato-onion-cream sauce flavored with an assorted set of spices.The only difference lies in the use of oil and butter. While Chicken Tikka Masala is prepared in oil, Butter Chicken is cooked in butter.
Spices of Chicken Tikka Masala
Spices play a vital role in making Chicken Tikka Masala. It requires a host of spices (such as cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, fennel, turmeric, clove, etc.) in correct proportions to bring out the classic taste. Therefore, to make the cooking process easy and convenient, this recipe uses Indian Magic Mix.
All the spices necessary for the recipe are measured and ready for use. Since, Indian Magic Mix also contains salt there is no need to season the chicken curry separately. Owing to its premium quality, the fragrance and flavor of the curry is excellent.
Inner Flame Indian Magic Mix ingredients:
Gluten Free Asafoetida* (Hing), Cardamom*, Red Chili*, Cinnamon*, Clove*, Coriander*, Cumin*, Fennel*, Fenugreek*, Ginger*, Himalayan Pink Salt, Tamarind*, Turmeric*, Peppercorn*, Chickpea Flour*, Rice Flour* *Organic
Indian Magic Mix or Indian Magic Masala is versatile and can be used in a variety of recipes such as Paneer Tikka Masala, Mutter Paneer, Coconut Fish Curry, Roast Vegetable Gravy, and many more. Download your copy of the Indian Cookbook LINK for step-by-step recipes of all popular dishes from Indian restaurant menu.
Relish the succulent Chicken Tikka Masala with Indian flatbreads such as Naan, Tandoori Rotis, or Puri! It also tastes delectable with steamed rice or pulao.
|Serving Size: 2||Prep Time: 10 minutes|
|Cook Time: 25 minutes||Total Time: 35 minutes|
Ingredients for Chicken Tikka Masala/Butter Chicken:
- Cream Base
- Curry Base
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pieces of boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into small pieces)
- Cilantro for garnish
Step 1: To Marinade the Chicken
- In a small bowl, add the yogurt, oil, and Indian Magic Mix
- Squeeze the lime and mix well
- Add chicken and rub the marinade on both sides of the chicken thighs
- Cover the bowl, and transfer it to the fridge to marinate for 1 hour
- After the marinating time is up, take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit on the kitchen top before proceeding to the next step
Step 2: Prepare the Cream Base
- Soak cashews in water, add Indian Magic Mix and let sit for 10 minutes
- Puree the cashews to a creamy consistency, add some water if needed if cream is too thick
Step 3: Prepare the Curry Base
- In a small saucepan or wok (preferred), heat oil and add garlic, sauté till the garlic turns slightly brown
- Add onions, pinch of salt (just a pinch), sauté till the onions are caramelized and soft
- Add tomato, water and stir well. Add Indian Magic Mix and sauté till the tomatoes soften and you see oil leaving the sides.
- Continue to sauté till it turns to a slightly thick paste
Add the Cream Base to the Curry Base. Stir and cook for another minute. Set aside.
Heat the butter in a separate pan over medium heat. As soon as the butter starts melting, place the marinated chicken thighs. Cook the chicken for 20 minutes over medium heat by flipping it every 1-2 minutes to avoid burning.
When the chicken is golden and cooked through, add in the prepped Curry & Cream Base mixture. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat by stirring frequently. Turn off the stove.
Step 7: Finally, transfer the Chicken Tikka Masala into a serving dish. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve immediately.